Thursday, June 25, 2009

Neihardt Civil War Pension Records

A :en:Roman Catholic :en:chaplain ministering ...Image via Wikipedia
I found Frederick Neihardt in the Civil War Pension Index:  General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 on the Ancestry web site.  I know he is my Frederick Neihardt because his widow, Elizabeth, is listed on the index card.  I also discovered my ancestor spelled his name "Niehardt" on the rare occasion, but, it would seem, his preferred spelling of the family name was "Neihardt."

I found Frederick Neihardt in the NARA T289 pension applications for service in the US Army between 1861 and 1917 on Footnote's web site and, there, I found his death date - 22 April 1872.  He died in "Hutcheson," Mcleod, Minnesota.  More evidence pointing to the probability Frederick Neihardt, the soldier, is my ancestor, Frederick Neihardt.  The application numbers listed on the Ancestry document and both Footnote documents match, so all three documents refer to the same soldier.

All three pension file records provide important and useful information about my third great grandfather, Frederick Neihardt.  Now to visit the NARA web site and pay the $75.00 for the full pension file and the $25.00 for the military file...
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: